This teapot and its matching stand were made by Andrew Fogelberg and Stephen Gilbert who ran a successful partnership from 1780-1793. Andrew Fogelberg, also identified as Anders Fogelberg, was born in Sweden in 1732 and apprenticed to a goldsmith in Halmsted in 1746. He is thought to have come to England in around 1770 and later took on the renowned silversmith Paul Storr as his apprentice. This teapot sits on a stand with square tapering legs applied with swags, a feature that is reminiscent of the decorative sketches of the architect and designer, Sir William Chambers (1723-1796), raising the possibility that he was responsible for its design. The decorative swags, the Vitruvius scroll, and rams’-heads on this piece are typical of the English neoclassical style which became fashionable during the second half of the 18th century.