John Emes was an engraver, plateworker and watercolour painter who first went into partnership with Henry Chawner, before registering his own mark in 1798. His wife Rebecca Emes took over his business upon his death in 1808, entering into partnership with the Barnard family. Their successful firm produced large and ornate presentation pieces, such as race cup trophies and elaborate dinner services in fashionable late 18th century styles, which they supplied to retailers across the country. This small bullet-shaped teapot made by Emes is simply decorated with a rising cape, or flared rim, a model which Emes produced for several years until his death. The teapot was part of the collection at Harewood House, home to HRH Princess Mary (1897-1965), daughter of King George V and Queen Mary, from 1929.