The firm of Tiffany and Co. was established in New York by the goldsmith and jeweller Charles Louis Tiffany in 1837, and went on to become the leading silversmithing firm in the United States under the creative direction of Edward C. Moore (1827-1891). Tiffany retailed and produced silver objects and jewellery in elegant and refined designs for a wealthy and influential clientele. The firm’s innovative designs drew inspiration from a wide range of sources, from Ancient Greek jewellery, Japanese metalwork techniques to European decorative arts. This silver teapot was produced by Tiffany and Co. in the early 20th century, when the silver manufactory had already gained international acclaim. The decoration of this teapot is relatively simple compared to other teawares the firm manufactured around this time, showing a return to the ‘bullet’ form and sparse engraved detail characteristic of early British and American silver teawares. The teapot is engraved with the letter ‘R’ on the front, presumably an initial of the person for whom it was made.