The internationally acclaimed English pottery factory, Wedgwood, was founded by Josiah Wedgwood in 1759 and specialised in the production of innovative and experimental ceramics. This caneware bamboo-form teapot is painted with encaustic enamel decoration. Caneware was the factory name for the buff-coloured stoneware developed by the Wedgwood Factory in the 18th century. Made from local North Staffordshire clays, the material could be left un-glazed. The pale colour suited this new form of bamboo design, which reflected the continuing taste for exotic decoration on teawares and other useful or ornamental wares. Similar shapes were produced in China during the Kangxi period (see CCN 255) and these would have provided inspiration for Wedgwood’s design.
This teapot was at one time part of both the Born and Kadison Collections and was featured in the 1980 Jubilee exhibition organised by the Buten Museum and held at Independence National Historical Park, Philadelphia.