Since its foundation in 1747 the Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg (Nymphenburg manufactory) was eager to produce high quality porcelain, employing specialists to develop and improve upon production techniques. Joseph Jakob Ringler is credited with implementing Nymphenburg’s porcelain production in 1754, after working in other porcelain factories in Vienna, Höchst, and Strasbourg.
One of the defining characteristics of Nymphenburg was their collaboration with artists in their decorative schemes, a practice still observed today. The partnership with Franz Anton Bustelli from Ticino helped the manufactory achieve world renown and led to his appointment as model master in 1754. This teapot, produced in ca.1760, follows the methodologies practiced and encouraged under Bustelli, with Rococo influences on the shape of the body and scrollwork handle, along with the use of rich enamel colours for the flowers. Floral decoration was a popular subject for tablewares at this time. The use of fresh flowers on the table was considered unseemly, with the risk of withering during the meal or their scent detracting from the food. The cone-shaped finial and moulded spout seen on this example were common features in teapots produced in Europe throughout the 18th century, as a result of copying Chinese export examples.