This type of teapot is known as a drum teapot due to its cylindrical form. Constructed of sheet silver, they were more straightforward and cheaper to make than raised teapots. The style became fashionable from the 1760s when the Neoclassical trend became dominant, replacing the asymmetrical, extravagant ornament of the Rococo. Most drum teapots of the period are decorated with simple bands of engraved decoration, such as on this example with its engraved drapery swags and coiled frieze border, motifs of the Neoclassical movement in the late 18th century that were commonly used to embellish decorative objects and interiors. Although the straight sides are characteristic of the Neoclassical movement, the curved spout is copied from earlier 18th century teapot forms demonstrating the combination and overlap of design trends.
This example was produced by London-based silversmith Francis Crump in 1774. The son of a Worcester cap-maker, Crump was apprenticed to Gabriel Sleath in 1726, an outspoken critic of allowing Huguenot silversmiths to work in England without first serving a seven-year apprenticeship. Crump became known for his production of hollow ware, including items for the tea service and registered his first mark in 1741, entering into a partnership with Sleath in 1753.