The Royal Porcelain Factory in Berlin (Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur or KPM) was founded in 1763 by King Frederick II of Prussia. He had a personal interest in the design and manufacture of porcelain, then known as ‘white gold’, and almost all of his diplomatic gifts came from the factory. In 1765, Frederick the Great commissioned 21 porcelain dinner services for his own court, more than any of his contemporaries would have been able to acquire at the time.
Landscape painting experienced a renewed interest in the late 18th century and German artists such as Jakob Hackert (1737-1807) and Johann Reinhart (1761-1847) were instrumental in its development. Not intended for use, cabinet cups were richly decorated and sold singly rather than part of a service with the saucer similarly decorated for upright display alongside the cup.