The Cozzi manufactory was officially founded by Geminiano Cozzi in Venice in 1764, and it quickly became known internationally for its high quality porcelain wares and its modern inventive designs. The factory specialised in producing hard-paste porcelain but also manufactured majolica and cream-coloured earthenware, employing painters and sculptors such as Domenico Bosello (1755–1821). Cozzi’s brother, Vincenzo, also worked with him with the factory, remaining active until 1812.
It is likely that this pair of tea bowls and saucers are part of a larger service that was ordered by the Venetian princely family Giovanelli, with four tea bowls of the same design, but modelled with handles, in the collection of Cà Rezzonico, Venice. Originally from Bergamo, the Giovanelli family took residence in Venice when they were granted the Palazzo Foscarini in 1755 and appear in the archival lists of the manufactory as ‘Giovanelli NH. Messer Benedetto Procurator’. During the 18th century, the Rococo style was popular throughout Europe, with the rocaille scroll framing motifs, as on these tea bowls, appearing on many Cozzi objects from the late 1760s.