This silver teapot and its original stand were made by Peter and Ann Bateman who began their partnership in 1791 following the death of Ann’s husband, who was Peter’s brother. Oval and octagonal-shaped teapots were fashionable at the end of the 18th century and were produced in many variations. Teapots with a flat base would often be accompanied by matching stands in order to protect the table surface from the heat. This teapot and stand were presented to Mary Churchill on her wedding day in 1947, by the members of Winston Churchill’s War-Time Private Office. The teapot is engraved with the monogram ‘EWB’ and is overstruck with the retailer mark of Thomas Ollivant from Manchester. The stand is inscribed ‘Given to Mary Churchill on the occasion of her marriage, 11th February 1947, by the members of her Father’s War-time Private Office’. The gifting of a teapot such as this indicates the continuing appreciation of and fashion for tea in Britain and that tea wares were often given to mark special occasions.