Josef Carl Klinkosch (1822-1888) was a famous Viennese silversmith, who supplied silver pieces to the Austrian Imperial court. Following his retirement in 1884 the firm was taken over by his sons, who continued under the name ‘J. C. Klinkosch’.
This silver tea kettle on a stand with carved horn mounts was manufactured under the management of Klinkosch’s sons, Arthur (1884-1899) and Isidor (1884-1914). Although Klinkosch’s clientele were predominantly drawn from European elite and upper middle classes with a taste for refined tablewares, the firm began to produce increasingly simple pieces towards the turn of the century, embracing bold, innovative styles which were becoming fashionable on the continent.
This kettle’s handle, which continues only partway across the top, enhances the simple, rounded form of the kettle’s body, while the pierced silver sections along the handle mount and stand present the only truly decorative elements. During the 1902-1903 winter exhibition at the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna, J.C. Klinkosch displayed teawares similar to this example, further enhanced with whiplash curves and blossoms on sinuous stems entirely characteristic of the Art Nouveau style (MAK, accession number KI 7511-29).